Even though I’ve taken part in a couple of CALs (crochet-alongs), until this year I had never joined a KAL (knit-along). So when a friend who I met last summer at Sirdar let me know that she was hosting one I was keen to participate.
Sophie is a knitwear designer, the creative juice behind Unicorn Knit Designs. She is also a busy mum of youngsters, juggling many things and at the same time making a great success of her new-ish design career. (You many have spotted her popping up in Knit Now Magazine every so often).
What I loved about her KAL was the choice of designs – three lovely cardigans for little girls – which offer a range of difficulty level but at the same time are perfect for ‘telly knitting’. As the mum to two small females I knew that they would love these cardigans. (And I also hope that they’ll be happy to share the first one until I have time to knit a second!).
I downloaded the pattern from Sophie’s Ravelry page, popped into a local yarn store to choose my colours, and was raring to start. My yarn is Stylecraft’s Bambino DK – it’s 100% acrylic but it’s soft and squidgy and has no hint of that nasty rubbery feel of cheaper products. The colour palette was selected by Ashton – a gentle teal for the main colour and stripes of pink, blue, and silver on the sleeves.
Although the pattern is for short sleeves I decided that I’d rather make them long so that the girls have more opportunity to wear the cardigan all year round. Sophie was kind enough to make some suggestions on the best way to adapt the pattern when I commented about this in her Ravelry forum. In the end I decided to knit the sleeves in the round using a magic loop. On the second round of each colour I slipped the first stitch purlwise instead of knitting it and by doing so I avoided a colour ‘jog’ on each stripe. I also tapered the sleeves by decreasing two stitches on the fourth round of each colour from about halfway down.
As you can see the cardigan is very nearly finished. I have about 12 rows still to knit on the second sleeve, and a few ends to sew in (not too many as I sewed in the first sleeve’s ends before starting to knit sleeve two).
I’ll pop a photo of the girls with their new cardigan up soon.